1/29/14

A Lazy Night

I went on a road trip for work the other day, a meeting in CT and then out to Long Island for a meeting the following day.  We finished around rush hour the first day and instead of fighting traffic on the LIE, we headed into White Plains for dinner at the Lazy Boy Saloon (http://lazyboysaloon.com/).

I knew that Lazy Boy had a great tap lineup, but I was surprised how good their food was.  I got a BLT and avocado salad, and then got a sampler to try some nice brews on draft; Perennial Aria, Empire White Aphro, and Long Trail Culmination.  I still had some kick left, so I split a bottle of Perennial Peach Berliner Weise with the table, as well as a 1 oz shot of this year’s Sam Adams Utopia.  There were several other beer bars in the same area, so I’ll need to remember to stop by when the I287 traffic is too heavy.  By the time we left, the traffic had subsided, so we checked into he hotel and headed out to our next destination, Croxley Ale House (http://www.croxley.com/).

Croxley has a good beer selection and lots of TV for sports, so it was the perfect place to relax for the evening.  I had the Greenport Harbor Antifreeze and a Great South Bay Blood Orange IPA, two local beers that were just bursting with flavor.  I watched my Hokies get blown out in basketball, and the Rangers comeback against the Islanders at Yankee stadium, and an order of boneless chicken wings (not the best, but who’s complaining on $0.10 a wing).  I split a bottle of Avery 20th Anniversary, and Imperial IPA at around 10% ABV, with my buddy Ross before calling it an evening.

The next day we had our second meeting, and finished early enough to afford a stop at one of my favorite bottle shops, DeCicco Family Market (http://www.deciccos.com/) in Brewster.  DeCicco has a great selection, as well as a tasting room that offers samplers, and the owners have come to know me by my beer book.  I got to try the Cigar City/De Proef collaboration on draft, their Tropical Tripel, a Belgian Ale that had hints of pineapple in it that I loved.  I also found some great bottles, those that are listed on Beer Advocate’s top 250 list.  The first was Midnight Sun’s Arctic Devil, a 13.2% English Barleywine that is rated #139 on the list.  The second was The Bruery’s The Bois, their 5th Anniversary Old Ale which was #149 on the list.  I’ll cellar them for a while and then share with my cousin Brian when we get together.

A productive trip, both in business and pleasure.  I’d even volunteer to go if they need someone to go back again.  Skol! - 15219
 
“Things don’t make me nearly as happy as talking and having a beer with my friends.” – Drew Carey

No comments: