1/15/14

Getting Silly on South Side

A new year, and a new business trip to Pittsburgh.  I get to travel periodically and this trip was for a one day meeting.  In some ways it is a bit silly to travel 12 hours for a 7 hour meeting, but sometimes it is necessary.  I always make the best out of the trip, and that even included the airport bar in Philly called Jet Rock.  I took advantage of my 3 hour layover by quenching my thirst with a Victory Hop Ranch on draft, a world class Imperial IPA that was 9% ABV, while chatting with some Flyer fans on the expectations for the rest of the season (not great by the way).  I made my connection, picked up my rent a car and headed to South Side to meet up with my management team for dinner.  The traffic was terrible since the Capitals were visiting the Igloo, but I had my Flyers cap on and was ready to visit some of my favorite stops in the Burg’.

I headed to Piper’s Pub (http://piperspub.com/), a fantastic British Pub that serves great food (try the Scotch eggs), local beers and cask ales.  Since I was meeting the boss across the street, I passed on the food and got a ½ pint of a North Country Buck Up Dark ale and a ½ pint of Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Stout.  Both were delicious.  I thanked the bartender and headed across the street to Fathead’s (http://www.fatheads.com/), a place with great food, tons of beers and full of Penguin fans.  I initially got some looks, but I fit right in when I said I hated Ovechkin too.  Fathead’s used to sell bottles, but it looks like they are stopping that portion of their business.  No worries, now that they brew their own beer they can be considered an excellent tap house.  I first went their coffee stout called Bean Me Up on cask, sharing it with the table and listening to the standard, “you shouldn’t put coffee in beer.”  Oh well, I thought it was excellent.  I got their Expert Pastrami headwich, a pastrami sausage grilled with hot sausage with an egg on top, not quite an artery clogger (that’s another sandwich) but definitely hit the spot.  I followed it up with a Battleaxe Baltic Porter on draft while watching Ovechkin take the lead in the third period, and then decided to go down the street to the Hofbrauhaus (http://hofbrauhauspittsburgh.com/) for some quiet and watching the end of the game (no one else seemed to care for the game).  Hofbrauhaus had their January special beer, Prussian Export lager on draft, a great end to the evening while I enjoyed the Pens taking back the lead and winning the game (I think Ovechkin even cried).

The next day was spent in meetings, way too many people in too small of a conference room.  I got to practice my driving skills navigating traffic lights, mini-vans and trucks up Rt. 51 to get to our favorite pitstop by the airport, Bocktown (http://www.bocktown.com/).  We didn’t have quite enough time for dinner (although the pickled eggs and beets hit the spot), so I got a sampling of local brews while we waited for our flight.  I got to try several more North Country brews on draft, and then went to the cooler to try a pair from 21st Amendment.  That is the best part about Bocktown; it has a great bottle (or can in this case) selection to go with the drafts.  I got the He Said Imperial Pumpkin Porter (again the comments of what you can put in beer) as well as the Lower De Boom Barley Wine.  I chose not to get any to go since I’d have to pay the checked bag fees myself (thanks US Air), but I did made it to the airport in time to return the rental car (yes, I did have an opportunity to fill it up, I just didn’t do it) and barely make it through security.

We connected through Philly again, this time with no problems.  I got a cheesesteak and a Sam Adams Cold Snap (their new winter white ale) at Jet Rock and made it home safe and sound.  It was an action packed rapid trip that was worth it all in all.  In 24 hours I got to sample brews from four of my favorite places.  – 15153
 
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

No comments: