4/15/14

Blue Ridge Beer Run

I really do dread outlet malls, as much as Christmas Tree Shops, antiquing, and public speaking.  So when Jenn said she wanted to go to the Outlets with her sister, I took the opportunity to head north and check out some fine beer stops.  So with Jacob working the music, we got on the road early enough to hit Beer Run (http://beerrun.com/) for breakfast.

Beer Run was recently placed on Draft magazine’s top 100 list, a predominately breakfast spot with a fantastic draft and bottle selection.  Jacob got a biscuit, while I went for the Campbell’s Scramble; two local eggs, scrambled with Pepper Jack cheese, Yukon Gold potatoes, all-natural bacon & topped with house Pico de Gallo (and Sriracha sauce for me).  I went with a Starr Hill / Terrapin GAVA Joe Belgian-style Espresso stout (great for breakfast), followed by a Blue Mountain Big Blue Barrel Aged Double IPA on draft.  I got a few bottles to go; Epic’s Smoked and Oaked, DC Brau’s The Citizen (cans are cool), and Three Brothers Resolute (going to cellar this one). 

It was raining, and we tried to do something educational.  Monticello is Thomas Jefferson’s home, a wonderful architectural masterpiece that our President spent years modifying and updating to try out his ideas and theories.  We didn’t get tickets in advance (big mistake), and couldn’t get on the tour of the house for 3 hours.  So we watched the instructional movie, and went through the walk-thru museum.  What struck me the most was the consistent apology that despite his enlightened viewpoints, he still owned (and fathered children with) slaves, only freeing 6 in his will.  Oh well, we’ll definitely come back some day with advanced purchased tickets.

We fought the rain and headed west to the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Blue Mountain Brewery.  Blue Mountain is located in a beautiful setting, features many barrel aged beers, and has tasty food.  I went with Spicy Thai wings (tasty, but not spicy) to go with their sampler.  My favorite was the Maggie Maibock, although the others were tasty too.  They offered a Buy 2 get 1 free special for their big bottles, so I picked up their Uber Pils and 2 Mandolin Tripels.

Our next stop was Devil’s Backbone, the 2013 Small Brewing Company of the Year.  While the folks at Blue Mountain were really nice, the manager at Devil’s Backbone was a bit of a butthead.  Oh well, the German pretzels and beer sampler were both good.  I loved their Schwartzbier and their Azrael, a Belgian Strong Pale Ale that was awesome.  I thought we could cut across the state to get home, but Garmin assured me that the best way to go back I-64.  But we had one more stop to make, Rate Beers top restaurant in VA for 2013, Mekong (http://mekongisforbeerlovers.com/).

Mekong is a Vietnamese restaurant, which is one of my new favorite styles of food, and they had a great beer selection.  I got a bowl of Pho tai; rare slice beef, flat rice noodles, onion, scallion, cilantro, and bean sprouts with Sriracha sauce.  Mekong will be opening their own brewery this summer called The Answer (any Allen Iverson fans out there?), and they already did a collaboration with Cigar City called Good Morning Mekong, an Imperial Porter brewed with Kopi Luwak (Beer Geek Weasel anyone?) and rated a 95 on Beer Advocate.  It was delicious.  The bartender loved my beer book, and proceeded to provide different samples to go along with my two free glasses.  I tried the 3 Brothers Rum Barrel Belgian Dubbel on draft from Harrisonburg, as well as Richmond’s Hardywood Park Bourbon Barrel Aged Sidamo Coffee Stout on nitro.  If you like Vietnamese cuisine (or are willing to try) and you are passing through Richmond, this place is a must stop.

I finished my bowl (quite filling) and made it back to the time share.  I figured out it was a 310 mile round trip beer run.  It was a little far, even for me, to go for several beers.  But I got to spend a day with Jacob, see some beautiful scenery (amongst the torrential downpours), discover some new brews and make some new friends. – 15598
 
“Filled with mingled cream and amber, such hilarious visions clamber, through the chambers of my brain, quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies come to life and fade away; What care I how time advances; I’m drinking ale today.” – Edgar Allen Poe

No comments: