4/26/14

Passing the Torch

My friend Jim Mahar announced that he was retiring the other day, bringing to a close a legacy that was known for introducing the Capital region to outstanding craft beer.  In July 2003, a new website called Beer Advocate rated Mahar’s the #1 beer bar in the country.  And no one could argue; their selection and commitment to introducing beer enthusiasts (aka beer geeks) to new brews through their continuing rotation of taps, out-of-state road trips, and unique parties such as their Shebeens.  I tried 6327 beers at Mahar’s over 15 years (over a beer a day for those that like those kinds of stats), finishing up #5 on the all time list (way more than half the number #1 beer drinker, Dave Harding).  Mahar’s was far and away the best bar in town, and depending what you are looking for it was arguably the best beer in the country.  So as I look at the local beer scene, I’d say that the torch has been passed to some outstanding beer bars, each offering something special.  My experiences this past week only proves the point:

·        I met some friends over in Troy for dinner the other night, and stopped into the Ruck to see what they had on draft.  A college bar with great wings, multiple TVs to cover sports, and a great tap selection.  This week I got a collaboration brew between Adirondack and Olde Saratoga on cask, a Chocolate Raspberry Imperial Porter.
·        One of my previous bosses decided I needed some mentoring, so he took me out to lunch to the Bier Abbey in Schenectady.  They have 30 rotating drafts, publish what they have on tap on Facebook, have a great bar staff to go along with a fantastic BLT.  I was able to get a De Struise Pannepot Reserva on draft, #213 on Beer Advocate’s Top 250 list, to go along with some sagely advice.
·        Stopped by Oliver’s Beverage in Albany to see if they had any new special offerings.  The Brew Crew at Oliver’s always bring in the latest stuff that you can get in the area, although the good stuff is typically snatched up pretty quickly.  Today they had bottles of Thirsty Dog Wulver, a bourbon barrel aged wee heavy that was #201 on Beer Advocate’s Top 250 list.  I got a four pack; one to savor, two to give and one to cellar.
·        The Madison Pour House was built in Mahar’s old location, and they really did a fantastic job.  Its very similar to Bier Abbey in terms of beer selection, but it’s second floor allows in a lot of light and the pasties are sure tasty.  I supped on a Harviestoun Olde Engine Oil Zymatore Blend 1 (wonderfully sour) while perusing the limited bottle selection.  Turns out it was limited in number, but strong in quality.  I picked up a bottle of Founder’s KBS (#5 on Beer Advocate’s list and rated a perfect 100) to cellar, and then was told they had a limited number of Bell’s Black Note Stout (#24 on Beer Advocate’s list and also rated 100) for special customers.  Apparently I qualified and got a bottle.
·        Capital City Gastropub is a relatively new location, and I decided to check it out for an evening snack.  My cheese plate was perfect, served with apple butter, to go along with an easy drinking stout, Port City Revival, on draft. Quiet and quaint, this is definitely a place I’ll need to take Jenn one evening.
·        The City Beer Hall is located close to the Times Union Center in downtown Albany, and it is definitely hopping on a Saturday night.  I got a ½ pint of Chatham’s Maple Amber on draft, and decided that this would be the destination for a future outing.

Jim Mahar was a pioneer in offering fine beer, providing insight on what to try based on a person’s palate (what do you normally drink?) as well as sharing his own preferences.  His suggestion to “ask for cask” has become a mantra for many of us, and helped inspire me to seek out new destinations as part of my trips to England.  Good luck on retirement Jim, and I hope that we can still share a pint together (Coniston’s Bluebird Bitter on cask, perhaps) somewhere in the future.  There certainly are plenty of places to meet in the area. – 15658
 
“I thought of giving it all away, to a registered charity.  All I need is a pint a day.” – Paul McCartney

No comments: